Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Just Keep Writing... Just Keep Writing.

I'm officially fascinated by Author, Dean Koontz, who was featured today, on CBS This Morning. Listening to him talk about his writing, reminded me of how critical I always am, of my own writing. He used the term, "self doubt," when talking about his "perfectionist" ways. He said, "I can't move on to the next page, until the last one is perfect." He also talks about his ability to write, as a "gift that he was given."  I've always felt that way too. Not everyone has the ability to tell a story, and/or use words, in great ways. The man has written over 100 books. I've written 0. Clearly, his gift is greater than mine. Or else, he's simply taken greater advantage of his gift, than I have. Perhaps the latter, is more accurate.

Truthfully, I'm feeling a bit ashamed of myself, after watching his story this morning. It's not  the starting part I struggle with... it's the FINISHING part, that keeps me from ever putting a whole book together. I never feel the story is good enough for human consumption, and I shoot it down myself, before anyone else ever sees it. I wish I could ask him, how he gets past that.

I think that may be my biggest problem of all. I write for a while, then I decide I don't like it, so I stop writing....... I tend to forget, I'm not writing for just me, but for other people. I am so critical of myself, I talk myself right out of publishing some things I have written. Again, I need to learn how to get past that.



I have found one recurring theme, among all successful writers. They ALL say, "You MUST keep writing." It's like what the great Philosopher, "Dory," said in Finding Nemo. "Just keep swimiming. Just keep Swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming... What do we do we swim, swim."


Sooo...  BACK TO WORK!! I must keep writing. Be on the lookout for new articles on the #NFLPlayoffs, and the #stlblues, from The SPortz Yak, and Thank You for your continued support!

#SPzY
#LetsGetBetter

No comments:

Post a Comment